30 March 2012

North and South and Richard Armitage

I admit I didn't understand what all the hype was about when Richard Armitage agreed to play Thorin in The Hobbit. Then I got introduced to him.

I know I needn't say more, but... I'm a writer.

Meet John Thornton, a Rochester/Darcy hybrid whose Northern burr is as unforgettable as his penetrating eyes. Such a complex character whom Armitage reveals, layer by layer, with unforgettable poise. And timing.

Mr. Darcy has some serious competition. And Mr. Thornton makes it look effortless.

If you've seen BBC's North and South, you know what I'm talking about.

If you haven't seen it... let me tease you.





I'm counting down the months until Thorin appears. (I don't know that I could watch Robin Hood; Guy of Gisbourne's been on my "characters to avoid at all costs" list since I read Howard Pyle's book at age 8.)

8 comments:

  1. AAAAAH! YES! Richard Armitage! I've watched that final scene of North & South like, well, more times than I care to admit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you the whole time I was writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered North & South and am completely obsessed with it (I'm American). Was it more popular in the U.K. than in the U.S. when it was first released? I feel so sheepish having only just discovered it.

    Also, please tell me Richard Armitage is still as unbearably scorching hot as he was in 2004...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a lovely film? I don't know how popular it was in one country versus the other, and I'm waiting for The Hobbit to decide on Armitage. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Cassidy, for posting this--I've felt so alone in the world as a Mormon RA fan, and when I found this I thought: Ah-hah! Kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, Ivonne...we can enjoy him from a distance :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Share your musings!