07 May 2012

Cylons and Mommy Blogs

I sat alone in my kitchen this morning, listening to the dishwasher hum, and wondered if I had a Cylon creeping up on me. It sounds just like this (minus the movie lines):

From the original series, mind you. (1978)


Of course if it were true that I had a human-killing machine C3P0-ing it up to me with a blaster pointed at the back of my head, these two wouldn't be far behind.


On another note...

Did you know that there's an entire genre of blogs known as Mormon Mommy Blogs? I know, random. Here's what prompted this discovery:

Last night I finished reading Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson, author of the NieNieDialogues blog (a signature Mormon Mommy blog) and survivor, with her husband, of a horrific plane crash in 2008.


 It's been a long time since I've sat down with a book I didn't want to put down. And it wasn't even fiction! I am so grateful for my own healthy, strong body after reading NieNie's story. After finishing her book, I woke up this morning and went for a moonlit run, consciously grateful that I had the ability to do so. I've thanked my Heavenly Father many times in the last week for Stephanie's book and for the body He has given me. The relationship between NieNie and her Mr. Nielson has given me hope that fairy tale love stories aren't quite as out of reach as it seems, and that a happy, strong, loving marriage is still possible, even in real life. Darcy is a feeble, wan comparison to the robust, devoted and absolutely real Mr. Nielson.

If you're looking for a real love story that breaks and warms your heart all at once, for a story of faith in heartbreak, perseverance through pain, and loving, complete families who stay together even amidst shattering trials, read this book and follow the story of the Nielsons through Stephanie's blog archives. It is a sweet, rich experience that makes you count your blessings, pray for safety, and reach out more to others who are less fortunate than you. Before I read it I would never have bought this book on my own; but I'm so glad it came into my hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your musings!