I'm no DIYer. My craftsy skills are…. about the same quality as my photography skills (see below).
But. This project was simple, and really fun to put together. A 12-day Christmas countdown gift bag/advent calendar, complete with scriptures and chocolate. My solution for putting a little bit of peace, Christ (and sweetness) back into a frenetic Christmas season.
12 scriptures related to Christ (I put together this list; there are so many other good ones, so you can mix and match as you please)
Red and green paper
12 small pieces of chocolate/candy
Pen (I used a silver gel pen)
1. Print your list of scriptures onto the red/green paper
2. Cut the scriptures into strips (w/o the reference on the top)
3. Fold each scripture closed (I did it in threes so it looked like an old-fashioned letter)
4. Fold a piece of tape; tape chocolate/candy to one side and tape the scripture strip closed with the other side--so the candy is acting like the seal to an old-fashioned envelope
5. Write the date for the scripture and the scripture reference on the outside of the strip, next to the chocolate/candy
6. When your scripture/chocolate envelopes are assembled, place them in a gift bag, tie the bag closed with ribbon, and address the bag with your Christmas tag/sticker
Voila! A small way for you (or a friend/loved one) to stop for a moment each day and remember 1) the real reason for Christmas and 2) the simple gifts.
There are actually 13 days in the bag, but who's counting?